Greetings Margaret Mead Community,
We are pleased to inform you that District 54 will be hosting an in-person modified track and field season for our junior high school student-athletes starting Monday, April 5. If you would like your in-person or virtual student to participate in track and field, then please read below for important information.
Safety Protocols: To ensure a safe track and field season for our student-athletes and spectators, District 54 has established several safety protocols in alignment with current IHSA guidelines. Please see below for general requirements to ensure safety at our practices and meets:
- Social distancing between students and vaccinated staff members of 3-6 feet must be maintained when possible.
- Consistent with IHSA Track and Field requirements and the IDPH, facial coverings must be worn at all times including while competing.
- There is no limit to the number of participants or attendees at meets as long as social distancing can be maintained and all in attendance wear facial coverings.
- Student-athletes should be responsible for their own supplies such as a water bottle.
- Students should wear their own appropriate workout clothing to practices and meets and not share clothing with anyone.
- All equipment and clothing should be washed immediately upon returning home.
- Hand washing and the use of hand sanitizer should be frequent at all contests and practices.
- Athletes should tell coaches immediately when they are not feeling well.
- Ensure 6 feet of distance whenever athletes are eating or drinking.
- Replace face coverings immediately after eating or drinking.
Modified Season—Please see below for information about track and field meets:
- The District 54 Track and Field season has been modified to be conducted from April 5- May 18, 2021.
- Mead will have three “in-house” meets. Mead’s “in-house” meets will be on Thursday, April 22, Monday, May 3, and Tuesday, May 13. The participants at the “in-house” meets will be ONLY Mead student-athletes—they will NOT be competing against student-athletes from other schools. The “in-house” meet provides an added safety assurance while still allowing our student-athletes to participate.
- At the conclusion of the “in-house” season, two Mead student-athletes with the top performances in each event will be invited to attend a District 54 Conference Meet. The District 54 Conference Meet will be on Monday, May 17 for eighth grade and Tuesday, May 18 for seventh grade.
- All track and field competitions will be held at the track behind Eisenhower Junior High School.
- Bus transportation to Eisenhower JHS for meets will be capped at 50. Coaches must establish a bus seating chart in the event contact tracing is required. Face masks are required to be worn at all times while on the bus and windows should remain open to assist with ventilation.
- Virtual learners are welcome to participate and arrangements should be made to accommodate their participation if requested. Virtual learners may ride the bus to and from meets.
- Parents/Guardians may attend all meets. Parents/guardians are expected to remain masked and to maintain social distancing during meets.
Practices—Please see below for information about track and field practices:
- All practices will be held at Mead Junior High School from 2:15 to 3:50 pm.
- After-school Activity Buses will resume running on Monday, April 5 to enable students qualifying for District-provided transportation to ride home following practices.
- Coaches will communicate practice and all competition guidelines to student participants and parent/guardians.
- Maintaining social distancing amongst the team and coaching staff is critical. For practices, our student-athletes will workout in “pods” of same students who are training together to ensure limited exposure if someone develops an infection.
- Facial coverings will be required at all times unless eating or drinking.
- Require students to arrive at practice already in competitive attire. Locker rooms will remain closed so our student-athletes must plan accordingly.
- Hand sanitation will be available (hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes etc.) for the team and coaches and student-athletes will be educated on proper hand washing and sanitation.
Participation—If you would like your student to participate in the upcoming track and field season, then please see important information below:
- In order for your student to participate in track and field, a current Sports Physical needs to be on file with our school nurse. Please contact our school nurse 847-357-6016 if you have any questions about your student’s Sports Physical on file. Sports Physicals are due to our school nurse by 2:00 pm on Thursday, April 1. If you are in need of a Sports Physical, then please refer to this DOCUMENT where you can find low-cost Sports Physicals in the area.
- Please submit a permission slip HERE. Permission slips are due on Wednesday, March 31.
- On Thursday, April 1, our track and field coaches will be holding an Informational Meeting for student-athletes and parents/guardians starting at 3:00 pm. At that meeting, you will learn more about our safety protocols and the track and field schedule including practices. The meeting will be held over Zoom—I have included details on how you can join the meeting below:
- Join Zoom Meeting by clicking here HERE (Meeting ID: 872 2171 2022 Passcode: 889946)
- Or, you can join by dialing 877 853 5247 (Meeting ID: 872 2171 2022 Passcode: 889946)
Please let me know if you have any questions-