Greetings Margaret Mead Community,
Please see below for information about how we continue towards ensuring the Mead community is Fostering Academic Achievement and Creating a Positive Culture.
Fostering Academic Achievement
Summer Resources: It’s hard to believe that summer is already upon us! District 54 has some exciting opportunities for students to continue learning and maintaining their progress throughout the summer months! To find out more specifics about our Summer Learning Camp, our Summer Reading Lists, and DreamBox click here! These activities are perfect to help sustain your child’s literacy and math skills over the summer or even to prevent boredom on a rainy day!
Adult ESL Conversation Club: District 54 is offering a conversational English club for parents who are interested in continuing to build their understanding and use of English. These classes are for those who would like to strengthen their English-speaking skills. Classes will be held from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Thursdays from June 1 through June 29 at the District 54 Professional Learning Center, 522 E. Schaumburg Road in Schaumburg (enter through Door C1). Click on one of these forms to register today as only 30 spots are available – English Form, Spanish Form, Ukrainian Form.
23-24 Registration: Please renew your student’s registration for the 2023-2024 school year. Registration for the 2023-24 school year is now available through the Infinite Campus Portal. Please login to review the current information and make any necessary changes. If you do not have a portal account, you should have received an email on March 17 inviting you to create one. If you have any questions, please contact our office.
Eighth Grade Information: It’s hard to believe that our eighth grade Mustangs’ last week is upon us-please see below for the final week’s culminating events for our graduates! If you have any questions, please let call our main office and we would be glad to help.
- Tuesday, May 16:
- Your graduate will be coming home with the following important graduation items this Tuesday, May 16:
- Graduation Ceremony Tickets: Tickets are required to enter the ceremony. Wintrust Field is asking that we assign each family six tickets. Students will sit on the field with their classmates, while families will sit in the stands. We will be sending tickets indicating your assigned seats home with your graduate on May 16. Families of graduates with last names A-Man will sit along the first base line. Families of graduates with last names Mar-Z will sit along the third base line.
- Graduation Gowns: Graduation gowns will be distributed on Tuesday, May 16. Reminder that if your student is participating in the ceremony at Wintrust Field, they are required to wear a gown in our school colors. Please note that District 54 does NOT have graduation caps as part of our ceremonies—only gowns. We recommend that students wear dress clothes under the gown.
- Congratulations Graduate Sign: District 54 has purchased a special sign of recognition for each graduate to display proudly at your home.
- PTA Graduation Gift: Thanks to our wonderful PTA for purchasing a t-shirt with your graduate’s soon-to-be high school and graduation year!
- The District 54 Board of Education requires that all missing assignments be completed and turned in in order to participate in the Eighth Grade Graduation Ceremony. To help, we will be hosting an entire day on Tuesday to work with students who have missing assignments so that they can participate in the ceremony. Please help us at home by ensuring your student has their assignments completed and turned in by the end of the day on Thursday, May 18.
- Thursday, May 18:
- For those families that have purchased a yearbook for their student, yearbooks will be distributed during first period on this day. If your student has not purchased a yearbook and would like to buy one, then a limited number of yearbooks will be for sale on Friday, May 19.
- Eighth-grade students will be returning their Chromebooks and chargers. The last day for eighth grade students to access their Google account will be Friday, May 19.
- We will be hosting our final Pep Rally of the school year on this day!
- Friday, May 19:
- Graduation practice for our eighth-grade students will take place in the gym starting at 8:00 am on Friday, May 19. If your student is participating in the ceremony, then they are required to attend practice on this day.
- Due to our eighth grade students last day of attendance on May 19, the PTA will be hosting a “special pizza day” for the eighth grade students who purchased pizza for May 23 on Friday, May 19 during their last day of attendance.
- The last day of attendance for eighth grade students will be on Friday, May 19.
- Sunday, May 21:
- The graduation ceremony will begin promptly at 8:30 am on Sunday, May 21 at Wintrust Field (also known as Schaumburg Boomers Stadium) 1999 South Springinsguth Road, Schaumburg. Graduates should arrive no later than 8:00 a.m. and report to the small parking lot on the southeast side of the stadium. Families are asked to park in the south parking lot. A livestream of the ceremony will be posted to the District 54 YouTube Channel for those who are unable to attend the ceremony. All students’ names will be read during the ceremony, whether they attend or not. Students will be walking on the dirt path and grass on the baseball field and therefore should wear flat shoes (no heels). Please note that there is another District 54 junior high school graduation ceremony after our ceremony at 8:30 am, so please be respectful of their entrance when leaving our ceremony. In the event of rain, we will hold our graduation ceremony at Conant High School on Tuesday, May 23 at 5:30 pm. If we have to cancel the ceremony on May 21 due to rain, we will notify all families by 7:30 am on that day. Families of graduates will enter the stadium at the “First Base Gate” on the south end of the stadium and will sit in their designated seats. Guests with special needs can enter through the “Main Entrance” and once in the stadium a designated seating is available on the concourse.
Creating a Positive Culture
PTA: Please visit our Mead PTA Facebook page for information including how to join the PTA and how to sign up for volunteer opportunities through our PTA. Please see below for other important information:
- Our nominating committee for the 23-24 Mead PTA Officers will be voting on their nominated officer slate on Wednesday, June 14 at 7:00 pm on Zoom using this LINK
- If you are available to volunteer to serve our students their hot lunches on Thursdays, then please sign up at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040E4FADAF2BAAF49-thursday. This link is also on the Mead PTA Facebook page.
- We are also looking for volunteers to come and serve our students their pizza slices. If you are available to volunteer one or more times, please sign up at: https://bit.ly/MeadPizzaVolunteers2022FirstHalf
March to Mead Made: Your students have worked extremely hard this school year—we are excited to end the school year strong and ask for your continued support. At the beginning of the third trimester, we introduced our “March to Mead Made” program that started February 27 and runs until the end of this school. The program reward students who show Respect, Responsibility, and Resilience every day at Mead. The details of the program are below for your reference. Your student’s Advocacy teacher will be in communication with your student about their point progress in each of these areas. In addition, if your student is not on track to make our school-wide goal, then your student’s Advocacy teacher will be in touch with you to let you know so you can reinforce the importance of ending the school year Mead Made. We look forward to seeing our students finishing the school year Mead Made—thanks in advance for your support. Please review the program details below and let me know if you have any questions.
- Goal of the March to Mead Made program is to help our students end the school year Mead Madeso they can be eligible to participate in the following year-end events:
- Sunday, May 21: Eighth grade graduation ceremony
- Wednesday, May 24: Seventh grade field day
- Students will be awarded points weekly. On Wednesdays during Advocacy, each Advocacy teacher will share your student’s total points with them and how many more points that they will need to participate in the end of the year events. Students will be required to get at least 80% of possible points to be eligible for the end of year privileges above. The points will be awarded in three areas:
- Every week, students will be awarded points in RESPECT
- Receiving ONE (or less) minor referrals in a week
- Receiving ZERO major referrals in a week
- Every week, students will be awarded points in RESPONSIBILITY
- Having FOUR or less tardies to class in a week
- Every week, students will be awarded points in RESILIENCE
- NOT being required to participate in the Class Work Support Program for significant missing assignments during the week
Track and Field: Track and Field finishes their season 5/15 @ D54 Conference Meet at Conant High School.
Important upcoming dates:
- May 19: Eighth grade graduation practice; last day of attendance for eighth grade students
- May 21: Eighth grade graduation ceremony
- May 24: Half-day of attendance for seventh grade students
- May 26: Last day of attendance for seventh grade students
Please visit our Mead JHS Website for the building calendar. Don’t forget to “Like” us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and watch our YouTube Channel to stay updated with the latest news and information about the great things happening at Mead. As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for your continued support and commitment to ensuring your student’s educational success.
Have a great week,