Mead: 8th Grade Updates
Dear Eighth Grade Families,
We want to start out by saying thanks! When I was an Assistant Principal at Mead JHS ten years ago, I vividly remember the incredibly supportive parent community here at Mead. To return back “home” to Mead ten years later has been an absolute privilege due in large part to getting to work with the best parents in 54! We want to thank all of our parents—you have been very patient with us as we continue to navigate these uncertain times. Thank you for being the best parents and always willing to work with us to ensure your child’s success! We want to send a special thank you to our Mead PTA. This school year, they have provided us with wonderful opportunities and gifts including our Mead Mixer, buying a “We Are One” t-shirt for each of our students, hosting our Thursday Hot Lunch program, upgrading our parent service infrastructure, and rebranding Mead with PTA-purchased signage. Many of our PTA officers will be leaving District 54 after a decade or more of voluntarily working with our schools as part of the PTA—thank you for your commitment! Spring is typically the time in the school year when we get to celebrate our outgoing eighth grade families—unfortunately the school closure does not allow us to formally do that. So, we want you to know how much we appreciate you. Despite these tough times, we can truly say the “We Are One” with our Mead parents!
We want to bring special attention to our graduating eighth grade students—the Class of 2020! This group of students will go down as the most successful athletic class in the history of Mead and one of the most successful in the history of 54—conference championships in boys and girls cross country, boys and girls basketball, boys and girls volleyball, wrestling, and boys and girls track and field! Their athletic accomplishments are only a part of their success. This year, they helped us truly define what “Mead Made” means. They have raised money for the Greater Chicago Food Depository and hosted our very first Rally for Respect that will now become a new yearly tradition at Mead. On day one, we asked them all to step up and be role models for the Mead Made way and they have exceeded our expectations! To not be able to celebrate their 54 careers with our traditional end of the year events breaks our hearts—we want them to know that they are the pride of Mead and we know they will represent us well as they start the next chapter of their lives!
Listed below are a few important updates regarding upcoming end of the school year events:
TODAY-MONDAY, MAY 18 Locker Clean-out and Graduation items pick-up: It was great to see so many of our families at Mead today! Reminder that tomorrow and Monday, please come and clean-out your child’s locker. Please note that your child does not need to come with you to the clean-out—if it works out that only a parent is able to come, then please ensure that they give you their hallway locker number and combination for you to use upon arrival. When coming to Mead, students and parents must adhere to social distancing guidelines. At all times, individuals should keep 6 feet of distance from others and wear personal masks. Please sign up for a time to clean out your child’s hallway locker by clicking on the link here. If you are not able to sign up, please feel open to come tomorrow or Monday between 7:30-11:00 am or 12:00-3:00 pm. When you arrive for the locker cleanout, you will do the following:
- Please enter through Door 2 near the main entrance. You will check in there and be allowed entry.
- Clean-out your child’s hallway locker. Please use the garbage cans located in the hallway to dispose of locker items that your child does not want to keep. You may want to have your child bring a backpack or a bag to put in personal items. If your child forgot his/her locker combo, have them look at Infinite Campus prior to coming to school by following these directions.
- Pick-up PE locker materials bagged and alpha-ordered in the gymnasium.
- Drop-off non-technology district resources (library books, textbooks—Geometry textbooks will be collected)
- Drop-off sports uniforms
- Pick-up artwork
- Pick-up Drama Club and Mathletes t-shirts
- Pick-up graduation gowns (reminder: we do NOT provide caps in 54), graduation medallions, and graduation yard sign
Please note that your child will NOT be returning their Chromebook on this day. Also, if your child ordered a yearbook or graduation photos, need to pick-up medications, and/or have an instrument to drop off, then please see below.
THURSDAY, MAY 28 Chromebook Drop-Off and Diploma/Yearbook/Medication Pick-Up: On Thursday, May 28, we will be utilizing a “drive-through” model with parents/children staying in vehicles to drop-off and pick-up the following items:
- Chromebook and Chromebook charger—please do not return the Chromebook case because it is your child’s to keep.
- Once we receive the Chromebook, then your child will receive their diplomas.
- Drop-off your child’s eighth grade letter to themselves—this was an assignment given to them by their language arts teacher.
- Pick-up yearbook, if ordered. If you would like more information regarding yearbook orders, then please contact Mrs. Morrison at email@example.com or Mrs. Reimel at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pick-up graduation photos, if ordered. If you would like more information regarding graduation photo orders, then please contact email@example.com or MeadPTA@nullgmail.com
- Pick-up medications and/or medical supplies from the school nurse. If you would like more information regarding these items, then please contact our school nurse at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drop-off school-owned musical instruments. If you would like more information regarding musical instrument drop-off, then please contact Mrs. Green at email@example.com or Mrs. Kostopulos at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pick-up special PTA-purchased memento for the graduating class!
On May 28, we ask that families arrive during the following times to reduce overflow in the Mead parking lot: A-L: 8:00 -11:00 am and M-Z: 12:00 -3:00 pm
WEDNESDAY, MAY 27 Eighth Grade Virtual Graduation: Reminder that we will be hosting the eighth-grade graduation as a virtual celebration this school year. Visit our school website at 7:00 pm on Wednesday, May 27, to check out the graduation celebration video. In addition, I will also send the link to the video that evening. The video will be on our District 54 YouTube Channel for viewing whenever it is convenient for your family and for posterity. The itinerary for the Virtual Graduation Ceremony is listed below:
- District 54 Introduction
- Principal Welcome
- Message from the District 54 Board of Education
- Student Addresses to the Class of 2020
- American Legion and Ron Foster Award recognitions
- Message from Staff to the Class of 2020
- Scroll of Graduating Student Names
- Picture Slideshow of Graduating Class set to music (please note: thanks to those students who were able to send us pictures—we were able to incorporate most of them into this picture slide show! It was not required that you submit a photo—we were hoping to get every graduate’s image into our picture slideshow! The video is finished and we are no longer accepting photos)
Graduation Mementos: To commemorate the graduation of the Mead Class of 2020, there are several celebration mementos that I wanted to bring your attention to:
- We have created a “Class of 2020” sign that you can print and use for photographs. Please click HERE to download and print the sign!
- District 54 purchased a “Class of 2020” congratulations yard sign that you will be leaving with when you come to clean out your locker!
- Our PTA has created a beautiful photo mosaic with a picture of every graduate with a “Mead Class of 2020” overlay—more to come on this memento!
- Our PTA has also purchased a special gift for each graduate that you will be able to pick-up on May 28 during your Chromebook drop-off!
Last Day of School: Reminder that the last day of eighth grade student virtual learning is Wednesday, May 27.
Important upcoming dates:
- Today – May 27: D54 V-Learning during remote learning days
- May 18: No school (V-Learning) due to staff planning day
- May 14-15, 18: Eighth grade hallway locker clean-out and materials pick-up and drop-off
- May 25: No school
- May 27: Last day of school
- May 27: Eighth grade virtual graduation ceremony
- May 28: Eighth grade Chromebook/instrument drop-off and diploma/yearbook/photos/medications pick-up
Please visit our Mead JHS Website for the building calendar. Don’t forget to “Like” us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay updated with the latest news and information about the great things happening at Mead. As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for your continued support and commitment to ensuring your child’s educational success during this time.